.Hi Everyone, Welcome to our third season of the Modified Rugby Program (MRP). We are excited to announce this year we have grown from 4 to 8 teams – potentially 9 – with new teams in Toowoomba and Redlands. In 2016 we will also have 2 teams at GPS, and both a MRP Team and a pilot season of the MRP 7’s at Brothers. We are thrilled to be the recipients of an extraordinary grant of $50,000 from the St George Foundation, for the second year running, to assist in the continued running and growth of the MRP. Nathan Sharpe and Tim Horan AM have recommitted their support to the GingerCloud Leadership Program and 2016 will see the release of Phase 2 to all returning PlayerMentors and Coaching staff to continue their leadership development. It is with great pride we announce that 5 of our pilot PlayerMentors (their third year in the MRP) are stepping up into coaching roles: Rhett Kleine, Nathan Bucolo, Paddy Lavery, Angus McDonald and Tom Clark. We are pleased to announce that Chyna Howlett will continue in the role of MRP Head Coach. Chyna has been involved in rugby from the age of 5 and now sits on the National Rugby Referees Panel. Chyna referees nationally and internationally, most recently at the HSBC World 7’s tournament. Chyna is studying Nursing and has a growing understanding of the specific needs of children who learn and perceive differently. Chyna has been a wonderful addition to the MRP and we look forward to her continued support. Also the formal endorsement process with the ARU is continuing throughout 2016.
Please make sure you:Like and Follow both the GingerCloud Foundation and the Modified Rugby Program Facebook Pages. This is a great way to keep in touch with reminders and urgent updates. Important MRP dates for your calendar:
- 16th of February at 6:15pm – MRP Information Night – Ballymore
- 18th of February at 6:30pm – Toowoomba Information night, The Pavilion at Toowoomba Grammar
- 21st of February at 2:00pm – MRP PlayerMentor Coaching Day
- 21st of February at 4:00pm – MRP Community Welcome BBQ following the PlayerMentor Coaching day
- 6th of May – Back to Ballymore ‘GOA Prawns on the Lawn’ – Edmund Rice and GingerCloud Fundraiser including MRP Exhibition Match on Field 1.
- At the Bundy Bar and beyond!
- 21st of May – Suncorp – Reds vs Sunwolves
- It will be an all MRP match with 4 teams playing before kick-off and 4 teams at half time!
- 11th of June – End of Season MRP Carnival will be at Ballymore
Please find attached the invitations for the Information Evening and BBQ here and for the PlayerMentor Coaching day here please RSVP as soon as possible for catering purposes. We’d also like to introduce two of the new members of our GingerCloud Team: Jodie Clarke, MRP Coordinator – Jodie is a qualified PE teacher with strong ties to Brothers and has successfully run large touch rugby competitions in both NSW and QLD; and Tory Webb, PlayerMentor Coordinator – Tory has more than 6 years experience in the development and delivery of youth leadership programs within both Australia and the USA. Keep and eye out for emails from Jodie or Tory as we look to make the 2016 season the best yet. Finally thank you everyone for your continued support of GingerCloud and the Modified Rugby Program with the key objectives of:
- Creating long term pathways for inclusion for children with learning and perceptual disabilities and
- Nurturing a generation of young people for whom disability is normalized.
All our best, Megan and Anthony Elliott